As you all know, wearing a helmet is really important. It can reduce the risk of a serious head injury or even save your life. This is why we want to inform you better on choosing the right helmet for you.
1. SIZE & FIT: Size and fit are the most important features you should look for in a helmet. Avoid buying/wearing a helmet that is not the right size for you. You can make the fit more custom using pads and straps that would keep the helmet in place.
2. ADJUST THE STRAPS: While riding the straps should always be locked, there is no point on using a helmet if you are not locking it. The straps should never be too tight or too loose on your chin. Make sure it “clicks” correctly and holds pressure properly – you’ll have to replace it if it doesn’t.
3. CORRECT POSITION: Helmet right position it’s approximately an inch above the eyebrows, any other position might be dangerous upon impact. You can take a look to this picture
4. COMPOSITION: The best helmet is the one constructed with an exterior hard shell and an interior soft and protective foam that can resist multiple light impacts. You’d want to look for durable materials and a padding system which is removable and washable.
5. ROUND SHAPE: The best helmets are rounded without outstanding decorations – any of these could cause neck injuries upon impact.
6. CHECK AFTER FALLING: You should always check your helmet after falling on it. Specially look for breaks inside the helmet. A broken helmet is no longer useful, don’t try to fix it and replace it asap for a new one- Ask somebody to lend you one if you want to keep riding that day.
8. CERTIFIED HELMETS: Although certification shouldn’t be an obstacle for you to buy your helmet, we highly recommend to look for helmets that have been tested and certified, in sum a helmet that fulfills all the above requirements.
10. CHOOSE A HELMET THAT SUITS YOU!: There is no point in having a helmet if you’re not using it due to embarrassment or because you don’t like it. There’s a million variety of styles and colours to choose from – pick the one that most suits your personality and you feel comfortable with!
We’ve taken all this information from Silverfish, XSports protective. If you want to read more, check the links below